1st Welwyn was created out of two patrols formed about October 1908, the Peewits and the Cuckoos, and met in the drill hall led by Mr AR Davies. On June 12th 1910 the Scouts were invited to meet B-P when he was staying at Digswell House, the home of the Acland family (Major William HD Acland was to become the DC after the first World War).
After attending a morning service at Becket Hall they march across the fields under the command of the SM Arthur Davies. On arrival they lined up and were in-spected by the great man – a memorable occasion for the Scouts. ASM Thomas Rhys, Captain, 5th Cheshire Regiment, was awarded the Military Cross in 1915. On 13th Sep-tember 1919 the Troop provided hospitality for a Dutch Troop from Utrecht. They camped in Pangshanger Park and were visited by a party of Dutch Scout Masters who were on a Study Visit to the UK. Lady Cowper had previously announced in on August 19th 1911 they the park was opened for Scouts to camp.
In 1947 Ronald Arthur Maddox aged 16 won 3rd prize of £5.00 in a poster competition – he went on to become a world renowned artist designing postage stamps and being commissioned to produce paint-ings of noble estates. On the 31st December 1992 at midnight Scouts from the 1st Welwyn, Muntjac Venture Unit and Elstree erected flags and lit beacons on the top of Scafell Pikes, Snowdon and Ben Nevis to celebrate the start of the European Common Market. The County won second prize in a Beacon Europe Media competition and publicity of the event went worldwide. The Troop held its summer expedition in Luxembourg during 1998 and more recently to Lichtenstein in 2011.