Who are we?
Founded in 1908 (for more infomation see our History page), 1st Welwyn Scout Group is one of the oldest scout groups in the world and one of the largest locally. Our address is:
1st Welwyn Scout Group
The Scout Hut
The Hut was closed between 2011 and 2014 due to a significant ingress of water Click here to read all about the re-fit project.
1st Welwyn Scouts, Cubs and Beavers all wear a scarf made up of dark red diagonal left hand & royal blue right hand bordered with black scarf and woggle.
All adults are volunteers; many of us have full time jobs and families – just like you – and our common goal is to help enrich the lives of children in the Welwyn area.
1st Welwyn Scout Group is a registered charity no. 302603.
What do we do?
Our aim is to help give young people the best start in life. We do this through a weekly programme of activity:
by offering training towards various awards (often using skilled experts),
by encouraging teamwork by giving leadership opportunities and responsibility at an early age,
by encouraging participation in Scouting events locally, nationally and internationally.
Everybody involved in Scouting helps young people for nothing … perhaps that is why it is so rewarding! There are many reasons to give some voluntary assistance:
- you or your own children may have benefitted from previous generations giving their time,
- you may be retired, looking for work or have flexible working hours and are looking for something constructive and worthwhile,
- you may want to use your skills and experience to help improve facilities within the community,
- perhaps you think that youngsters need a safe place to have fun or you’d just like to keep them off the streets!
- you may be at school or in a youth group and doing your Duke Of Edinburgh award.